Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I'm Back!

Okay, so I've been MIA for a while now. What can I say? I've spent too much time reading blogs as of late than writing! Guilty!

Anyway, here's some food for thought--or for your tastebuds!
I am obsessed with quesadillas. I think it's something about the warmer weather that makes me want to go for the spicy, simple foods. And, I just love the endless variations of food in a browned tortilla.
Today's lunch was a barbecue chicken quesadilla (chicken, refried beans, shredded cheddar cheese, and homemade barbecue sauce). I ate the first half before I could restrain myself enough to take a picture.

My "Mexican" flavoring for my chicken is simple. But, sorry, I don't measure. I merely sprinkle some cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper on the 1lb chopped chicken breasts, saute in olive oil with about 1/4 cup chopped onion, and voila!

After the chicken is prepared, I melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat and then throw on the tortilla and top it with shredded cheese, refried beans, chicken, avocado, salsa or whatever else sounds good! Today I used barbecue sauce instead of salsa and it was fab!

Quesadillas are a great way to dispose of leftovers. Keep tortillas on hand and the possibilities are endless!

My Favorite Homemade Barbecue Sauce (courtesy of my friend Ashley's very talented husband!)
In a small sauce pan combine:
1Tbs olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 small chopped onion
Cook until translucent (4 or 5 minutes) then...
Add
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup molasses (found in Meijer cereal aisle since we couldn't find it)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Bourbon
Simmer for 10 minutes to burn off alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment